WARNING ABOUT TOUCHING SICK OR INJURED FLYING FOXES
With recent high temperatures, there have been increased reports of flying foxes being affected by heat stress.
• Please do not handle flying foxes as they can carry serious diseases.
• If a sick or injured flying fox is found, call 1300 ANIMAL.
• If a dead flying fox is found, use a shovel to scoop the animal into a bag and place carefully in your bin. But take care – animals may only appear to be dead which could lead to scratches.
• Warn children to never touch flying foxes and report any scratches.
• If you believe you have been scratched or bitten, seek immediate medical assistance.
More information on flying foxes, including health concerns, is provided on the following websites:
Department of Environment and Heritage Protection - Flying Foxes Queensland Health - Bats and Human Health