Who can join?
Free membership is open to Queensland residents.
Temporary membership (3 months) is available to non-residents of Queensland for a refundable fee of $30.00 per borrower. If you are staying in the Shire for more than 3 months you can renew your membership once more for 3 months. The refundable fee must be claimed upon cessation of membership, prior to leaving the Shire.
How to Join - in person
To apply for membership to Banana Shire Library Service in person you need to:
- Go to one of the Banana Shire Library locations.
- Produce one form of identification showing their current residential address, for example a current driver's licence or telephone account.
- Complete an application form.
- For children and young people under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian who qualifies for adult membership, must request membership on their behalf and must provide the above identification, as well as a medicare card or similar with the child's name on it.
Your application will be processed and you will receive a library membership card. You may start using the library service immediately.
How to Join - online
You can also register online through the "Join" tab (top right) on our Online Library Service page.
Once registered, you can collect your library card from any of our libraries.
You will need to produce one form of identification showing your current residential address, for example a current driver's licence or telephone account.
Junior members will need to have your parent or guardian with you when you visit the Library to collect your borrowing card to sign as a guarantor.
Your parent or guardian must have proof of guardianship, ie medicare card.
You are able to use our online services prior to collecting your library card.
Use the barcode and PIN number provided through the online registration process to browse , to search and reserve items via the online catalogue
You can also, login using your barcode and PIN number or register another member.
Members of Banana Shire Library Service:
- Present their library membership card when borrowing
- May borrow up to 20 items at any one time.
- Have items for a three-week loan period. Extended loan periods can be requested.
- May renew their items, by phone or in person, for a further three weeks provided that, the items have not been requested by another borrower.
- Are limited to 4 CDs and 4 DVDs at a time, due to the size of the collection.
Fines accrue on overdue items at a rate of 10 cents per item per day.