Animal Control - Pound, Welfare & Complaints

Banana Shire Council

Animal Control - Pound, Welfare & Complaints

Dog in pound

Animal Pound

Impounding of Animals

Council Officers conduct patrols throughout Shire towns to identify wandering dogs. Dogs wandering at large in Shire towns may be seized and impounded by Council Officers.

If your cat is found wandering outside your property, it may be impounded.  

Release of Animals

Animals may only be released from the pound after full payment of impounding and sustenance fees, and where applicable, registration fees and microchipping fees. Fees may be paid at Council's Administration Centres. All impounded dogs are required to be registered and microchipped prior to release.  Cats are required to be microchipped.

A receipt will be given on full payment of impounding and sustenance fees, and where applicable registration and microchipping fees.  This receipt, together with a form of photo identification (ie drivers licence, 18+ card, passport) will need to be presented on collection of your animal/s.  If someone other than the registered owner is to collect the impounded animal/s, Council must be notified in advance by the owner, and the person collecting the animals must present photo identification on collection. 

Impounded animals will be released by appointment.

Relevant impounding release fees are listed in Council's Fees and Charges Register.

For the location of Council's Administration Centres see the Contact Council page.

Pound Location

The Biloela Pound is located at 155 State Farm Road, Biloela. Travel through the round-a-bout and continue down State Farm Road towards Tognolini-Baldwin Rd. The pound is situated on the left hand side just after the creek crossing. Proceed through the open gateway and follow the dirt road to the pound buildings at the far end of the road. 

Holding Time for Impounded Animals

Dogs and Cats: Three (3) days for non-registered animals.  Five (5) days for registered animals.  On expiry of the holding time, animals may be offered for re-homing or otherwise disposed of.

Horses, Cattle, Goats: Five (5) days, after which they may be sold at auction.

Unwanted Animals

Council may accept dogs or cats that an owner no longer wants, but a surrender fee is payable. It is preferred that the owner either have the animal destroyed by a vet or find an alternative home themselves.

Back To Top

Making a Complaint

Dog Attacks

If the dog has bitten someone, or is likely to cause injury to a person or animal by biting, attacking, worrying, rushing or chasing them, Council may be able to declare the dog dangerous or menacing and impose strict requirements on the keeping of the dog. A dog attack form must be completed, and a Council Officer will investigate the complaint.  

If the dog continues to pose a threat, you may contact Council' s Compliance Officers for assistance. Refer to the Contact Council page for further details of business hours and after hours contact numbers.

Barking Dogs

Dog owners are required to take all reasonable steps to prevent their dog from making noise that causes a nuisance.  If you are being affected by a barking dog, a specific barking dog complaint form is available from Council, however it is recommended that you approach the dog owner yourself before lodging a complaint - refer to the Have you Advised your Neighbour section below.

Wandering Dogs and Cats

If a dog has entered your property you may restrain the dog and request Council collect it. Alternatively, if you are able to notify Council of where the dog is usually kept, further action can be taken against the dog's owner. If a dog is wandering on a property outside of the town area, the affected person may be permitted to bring the dog to the pound by prior arrangement with Council Officers. 

For wandering cats in residential areas, further action can be taken when the owner is known.  Where the owner is not known or has not taken appropriate action, Council may attempt to trap the cat.

Feral Cat Management

Council can provide assistance with feral cat management.   Residents outside the town area or non-residential premises may hire a cat trap.  Hirers are required to complete a hire form and must humanely dispose of any feral cats captured themselves, before returning the empty cage to Council.

Have you advised your neighbour?

Making a minor complaint about a neighbour to a Government Agency can often do more harm than good. A little tolerance goes a long way so if possible, please discuss your concerns with your neighbour first. On most occasions your neighbour will not realise that they are causing a nuisance and will be happy to address the issue.

The Queensland Neighbourhood Disputes website initiated by the Queensland Association of Independant Legal Services Inc provides helpful advice on how to talk to or write to your neighbour about a dispute, as well as an overview of the laws that apply to common disputes. 

Registering a complaint with Council

With all the goodwill in the world, it is acknowledged that there are times when assistance from a third party is necessary.

To register a complaint, complete the relevant complaint form, or you can contact Council in the following ways :

  • In person at a Council office;
  • by telephone;
  • by email; or
  • by facsimile.

Dispute Resolution

When all else fails, you can contact the
Queensland Civil & Administrative Tribunal
GPO Box 1639, Brisbane Q 4001
Phone: 1300 753 228 Fax: 07 3221 9156

QCAT is a Government provided free mediation and facilitation service, which deals with workplace, family, neighbourhood, commercial, organisational, environmental and multi-party disputes.

Back To Top

Animal Welfare

Unfortunately, Council cannot act in animal welfare matters.  RSPCA and the Biosecurity Qld (DAFF) are the responsible agencies.  Biosecurity Qld generally handle matters involving commercial activities and the RSPCA handle matters involving companion animals. There is a regional RSPCA office located in Rockhampton, however if RSPCA officers are not available, or if you are located over 200km from Rockhampton, your local DAFF Stock Inspector may be able to assist. 

Contact the RSPCA on 1300 852 188 or the DAFF (Department of Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry) call centre on 132523.

Back To Top