Banana Shire Libraries
Banana Shire Library Service
The Banana Shire Library & Information Service serves an area of 28,577 sq kms and a population of approximately 16,000 operating a central library at Biloela, branch libraries at Moura, Taroom and Theodore, and a Mobile Library Service to seven townships in the Shire.
Friendly and helpful staff at our libraries can assist you with your reading and information needs. There are approximately 52,000 resources including books (Large Print and standard), magazines, newspapers, audio books, music CDs, videos, DVDs, graphic novels available for loan. Interlibrary loans and community language resources are available on request.
Suggestions for purchase are encouraged for items that are current and popular.
Free library membership is open to Queensland residents.
Temporary membership (3 months) is available to non-residents of Queensland for a refundable fee of $30.00 per borrower.
If you are staying in the Shire for more than 3 months you can renew your membership once more for 3 months. The refundable fee must be claimed upon cessation of membership, prior to leaving the Shire.
To apply for membership to Banana Shire Library Service in person:
- Go to one of the Banana Shire Library locations.
- Produce one form of identification showing their current residential address, e.g. a current driver's licence or telephone account.
- Complete an application form.
- For children and young people under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian who qualifies for adult membership, must request membership on their behalf and must provide the above identification, as well as a medicare card or similar with the child's name on it.
Your application will be processed and you will receive a library membership card. You may start using the library service immediately.
You can also register online through the "Join" tab (top right) on our Online Library Service page.
- You can collect your library card from any of our libraries.
- You will need to produce one form of identification showing your current residential address, e.g. a current driver's licence or telephone account.
- Junior members will need to have your parent or guardian with you when you visit the Library to collect your borrowing card to sign as a guarantor. Your parent or guardian must have proof of guardianship, ie medicare card.
- You are able to use limited online services prior to collecting your library card.
- Use the barcode and PIN provided through the online registration process to browse, search and reserve items via the online catalogue.
- Login using your barcode and PIN.
- Register another member.
If you have any questions contact us at any one of our branches or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Members of Banana Shire Library Service:
- Must present their library membership card when borrowing
- May borrow up to 20 items at any one time.
- Have items for a three-week loan period. Extended loan periods can be requested.
- May renew their items, by phone or in person, for a further three weeks provided that, the items have not been requested by another borrower.
- Are limited to 4 CDs and 4 DVDs at a time, due to the size of the collection.
Fines accrue on overdue items at a rate of 10 cents per item per day.
Home Library Service
The Home Library Service delivers fortnightly, in the Biloela and Thangool areas, on a Tuesday. Staff select resources according to your needs and co-ordinate delivery to the homes of Library members; this is a free service. Deliveries are made to those who have been deemed physically unable to access the library by a 'certifying authority' (Doctor, Therapist, Social Worker, etc). Download an Application for Home Library Service.
For more information regarding eligibility for the Home Library Service, please contact Library Staff at the Biloela Library on (07) 49927362
An Inter Library Loan (ILL) may be able to be sourced for items the library does not hold. This service will incur a $5/item fee, payable on request.
If the lending library has extra charges we will contact you before proceeding with the request.
Community Language Resources
An extensive collection of books in over 58 languages is available for loan by members of the community for whom English is not their primary language. These items are part of the State Library of Queensland's collection and can be requested for use.
Enquiries relating to these requests should be directed to the Biloela Library on Ph (07) 49927362 or email: email@example.com.
eBooks and eAudio
Banana Shire Libraries are part of a consortium organised by the State Library of Qld.
To access - click on "Sign In", find "Banana Shire Library" in the drop down box, then put in your Library card barcode and PIN. You can also download the app!
Go to https://banana.kanopy.com/ to sign up for access to up to 10 movies per month per library card.
To access - click on the link above, select add library card, enter your Library card barcode and PIN then click Continue.
Bulk Loans to Organisations
Bulk loans to pre schools, kindergartens and other organisations are available depending on availability of resources at the time of application.
The library provides services and collections for children of all ages.
- Storytime 5 years and under
- Storytime gives pre-school age children and their parents the opportunity to listen to stories and enjoy craft activities.
- Biloela Library - Wednesday and Saturday 10 am
- Moura Library - Thursday 10 am
- Taroom Library - Tuesday 10 am
- Theodore Library -Thursday 10 am
- Storytime does not take place during school holidays.
- Baby Bounce 0-2 years
- Designed for babies and toddlers, it provides an opportunity to develop literacy, numeracy and social behaviours from an early age.
- Biloela Library - Thursday 10 am
- Moura Library - Tuesday 10 am
- Taroom Library - Thursday 10 am
- Baby Bounce does not take place during school holidays
- School holiday activities
- Run during school holidays at Biloela library, and at branch libraries by request - enquire at your local branch library. - Places are limited so book early on (07) 49927362.
- School visits & Library tours
- School visits and tours of the Library are encouraged. Library staff appreciate at least a week's notice to allow time to prepare a relevant programme and to ensure staff are available.
- Junior Collection
- Available for ages 0 –12 years (board books, picture books, independent readers, junior fiction and junior non-fiction books), magazines, videos, DVDs, audio books, and games that can be used in the Library.
- Access to eBooks and eAudio items from Libby by OverDrive by following this link https://qroc.overdrive.com/ and selecting Kids from the list at the top.
- Movies for children, unlimited number of downloads per month, just follow this link https://banana.kanopy.com/.
- Young Adult Collection
- Available for ages 12-18 (books, DVDs, Comics, audio books)
- Access to eBooks and eAudio items from Libby by OverDrive by following this link https://qroc.overdrive.com/ and selecting Teens from the list at the top.
- Parent Collection
- Picture books are available to help parents to explain some sensitive issues to their children. Eg death, feelings, stranger danger. There is also a range of adult non fiction titles available on various aspects of parenting located on the shelves at 649.1
Trained and knowledgeable staff members are available to assist with information requests
BSC Reference Materials
Reference collections are available at all libraries, with the main collection being housed at Biloela Library. These resources which include books, CD ROMs, e-resources, newspapers, microfiche, microfilm, photographs and maps are for use in the library, and are not available for loan.
State Library Databases
Queenslanders have access to a number of authoritative databases many of which are subscription only and not available through Google or other free search engines. You can search these databases to find articles on a broad range of topics in online journals, magazines, newspapers and ebooks. Many articles are offered in full text. Company information and Australian standards are also available.
The computerschool.net website gives all Banana Shire Library Service card holders free access to self-paced computer training courses that they can do at home, or in the libraries with access over 22000 tutorials. Just click on the link below and logon using your library card number.(TIP: the "B" on the Library card is not case sensitive).
Offers a structured touch typing course for motivated individuals looking to develop their keyboard skills. This is a free resource to aid supervised keyboarding education in schools, companies, and organizations.
Using a Mouse
The Palm Beach County Library presents a resource to help beginning computer users become familiar with using a mouse. On this site you can jump to a Mousing Around tutorial, Mousercise exercises and to practice games.
Lynda.com is a web-based video subscription service that provides courses for learning the latest commercial software, creative and business skills.
Local History and Genealogy
Banana Shire has an interesting and diverse history associated with the land and the people who became part of it. The Banana Shire Library Service is committed to preserving the print and photographic material that documents our past.
Highlights of the collection include:
- "Central Telegraph" (local newspaper) on microfilm
- Queensland Births, Deaths, and Marriages" on microfiche
- Local family histories
- Videos of places and people within the Shire.
- The Charlee Marshall Poetry Collection.
- A Historic database of other resources within the Shire.
- A significant photographic collection.
- A Wide range Family History CD Roms
The collection can be accessed at the Biloela Library, and information can be requested from the branch libraries and the Mobile Library.
Internet/Email/Word Processing Facilities
Biloela, Moura, Theodore & Taroom Libraries have Internet access available to members of the public, as well as access to email and Microsoft Office. The first half hour of Internet access per day is free of change. Thereafter, Internet access costs $2.00 per half hour and $3.50 per hour timeslot. Prior bookings are encouraged.
Biloela, Moura and Theodore Libraries have printing facilities. Black & White Printing: 30 cents per A4 page.