Health & Environment

Environmental Health

Council's Environmental Health Officers are responsible for many aspects of community health including monitoring of food establishments, personal appearance services (hairdressers, beauty therapy, body piercing, tattooists), environmentally relevant activities, caravan parks and camping grounds, shared facility accommodation; environmental nuisances; litter control; and control of public health risks such as mosquitoes and vermin.

Phone Council on (07) 49929500 or visit Local Govt Toolbox for more information about Environmental Health Officers.

Environmental Nuisance or Pollution

Council is committed to maintaining the health of our environment and our quality of life. Environmental protection legislation aims to reduce interference with our normal daily activities or harm to the environment and enables Council Officers to address various nuisances, once a complaint has been made.

Nuisances may include:

On receipt of a bona fide complaint, Council will investigate the matter.  For further information about how to make a complaint, refer to "Making a Complaint" below.

What Noise Limits Apply?

Section 440 of the Environmental Protection Act 1994 prohibits noise to be made outside the following hours:

For further information on any of these nuisances contact Council's Environmental Services Section on (07) 4992 9500.

Environmental Sustainability

Environmental Management Plan

Banana Shire Council has developed an Environmental Management Plan (EMP) with input from stakeholders and community members.  The purpose of the EMP is to provide appropriate environmental protection to achieve ecologically sustainable development within the framework of existing legislation and environmental policies.

Environmental Policies

Council has adopted the following environmental policy:

Banana Shire Council Environmental Policy

Environmental Obligations

Legislation, such as the Environmental Protection Act 1994, places a general environmental duty on everyone to minimise impacts on the environment through discharges to air, land and water and management of waste and noise emissions.

Council has developed a set of Environmental Obligations to inform individuals, contractors or businesses of their obligations in undertaking any work or development that may impact on the environment. 

For more information please contact Counci's Environmental Services Section.

Flying Foxes

Flying fox roost management can be a difficult and contentious issue which involves close collaboration and communication with the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (DEHP). 

If a flying fox colony is causing concern, Council's ability to assist can be limited by many factors including location, species, colony numbers and breeding cycles.

Council has endorsed a Statement of Management Intent for Flying Foxes which articulates the approach that Banana Shire Council will take to the management of flying-fox roosts in Banana Shire. Council also recently adopted a Flying Fox Management Plan.

Some important points to consider if you are affected by flying foxes are:  

  • Do not attempt to handle a flying fox as they can carry serious diseases.  If a sick or injured animal is found, call 1300 ANIMAL.  If a dead animal is found, use a shovel to scoop the animal into a bag and place carefully in your bin.
  • Warn children to never touch flying foxes and report any scratches.  
  • If you believe you have been scratched or bitten, seek immediate medical assistance. 
  • Avoid disturbing a colony as this can exacerbate issues of noise, smell and mess, can increase health risks and may only result in the problem moving to an even more unsuitable location.
  • Heavy penalties may be imposed for interference, harrassment of dispersal without a permit.  

More information on flying foxes, including health concerns, is provided on the following websites:

Department of Environment and Heritage Protection - Flying Foxes

Queensland Health - Bats and Human Health

Overgrown Land or Accumulated Materials

Landowners need to maintain their properties to prevent reptile harbourage and protect visual amenity. 

If you believe that a yard is overgrown or contains objects or materials that may harbour reptiles or cause a visual nuisance, you may report this to Council.

Where land is found to be overgrown, a letter is sent to the owner requesting the problem be rectified within 21days. Where no action is taken, a second notice requiring the problem to be rectified in 21 days is sent. Failure to comply with the second notice will result in Council issuing an enter & clear notice, giving 14 days. At the end of this timeframe, if the work has still not been completed, Council will enter and carry out the required work.

Where the land is owned by the State, Council does not have the power to enter but will still ask for the cooperation of the relevant Government Department.

Although footpaths are Council property, it is expected that the adjoining property owner mow grass on the footpath as it would be impractical for Council to maintain all the Shire's footpaths.

Abandoned Vehicles

If a vehicle has been abandoned on a roadway, Council can remove and impound the vehicle or require the owner to remove the vehicle.  

To report an abandoned vehicle, contact Council on (07) 4992 9500.

Public Health Risks

Council's Environmental Health Officers can address certain Public Health Risks, including —

  • Mosquitoes
  • Rats and Mice
  • Stagnant or ponding waste water
  • Pesticide, herbicide or chemical release from non-workplaces
  • Asbestos located at non-workplaces

as well as other matters relating to public health and safety, including:

Sharps Disposal

Shire residents who are required to use needles for medical reasons can obtain sharps disposal containers from Council free of charge and return the full containers to Council.

This service can be accessed at the following locations:

  • Banana Shire Council Chambers, Valentine Plains Road, Biloela
  • Banana Shire Council Office, Gillespie Street, Moura
  • Banana Shire Council Office, Yaldwyn Street, Taroom
  • Wowan Dululu Multi-purpose Centre, Wowan
  • Baralaba Medical Clinic, Stopford Street, Baralaba
  • Theodore Medical Centre, Hamilton Street, Theodore

Sharps disposal containers are also provided in public toilets in the following locations:

  • Tom Dawson Park, Biloela
  • Bicentennial Park, Biloela
  • Rugby League grounds, Biloela
  • Melton Park, Biloela
  • Lions Park, Biloela
  • Kariboe Street, Biloela
  • Lions Park, Moura

Making a Complaint

Have you advised your Neighbour?

Making a minor complaint about a neighbour to a State or Local Government Agency can often do more harm than good. A little tolerance goes a long way so if possible, please discuss your concerns with your neighbour first. On most occasions your neighbour will not realise that they are causing a nuisance and will be happy to address the issue.

The Queensland Government Ways to approach your neighbour website offers helpful advice on how to discuss your concerns with your neighbour and what steps may be taken if an agreement is unable to be reached.

Registering a Complaint with Council

With all the goodwill in the world, it is acknowledged that there are times when assistance from a third party is necessary.

To register a complaint, complete a complaint form, or you can contact Council in the following ways :

  • In person at a Council office
  • by telephone
  • by email or
  • by facsimile

Dispute Resolution

When all else fails, you can contact the
Queensland Civil & Administrative Tribunal
GPO Box 1639, Brisbane Q 4001
Phone: 1300 753 228 Fax: 07 3221 9156

QCAT is a Government provided free mediation and facilitation service, which deals with workplace, family, neighbourhood, commercial, organisational, environmental and multi-party disputes.